Saturday 13 June 2015

The Winner's Curse By Marie Rutkowski Review (Spoiler free)

Winning what you want can cost you everything you love..

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel
 has other intentions. 

 One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys himwith unexpected consequences. Its not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. (Synopsis from Goodreads)


PICK IT UP. DON'T WAIT.  5 FRIGGIN STARS.


For all those of you who follow my reviews on Goodreads (If you aren't, then go follow!) know that I was constantly updating my views on the book as I was advancing in it. Up until page 250, I couldn't decide which genre to put this book in. It was Fantasy, but I'd never read a fantasy book even remotely close to this one. This was unique in its own way and gave me a book I'll remember for a long time. This book really surprised me, and pretty much half of the time my reactions were simple.


I'd been starving for a good fantasy novel ever since Throne Of Glass, and had been disappointed by each and everyone that had come my way. Either they'll be blatant copies or scrap offs for some old good fantasy novels. This book, though, was very different. Marie Rutkowski took elements, built upon them, and gave them a good end. She didn't leave anything hanging in air. And if she did, she did it with the promise of answers in the next book. 

The complexity of the characters was limited to the choices they made. They were very well thought of, well executed and very easy to follow. The events that occur leave you with the scent of that Greco-Roman feel that was perpetually around, only not visible, like a ghost.

Kestrel is the kind of character that makes you reconsider your definition of "strong". She was not a good fighter in the world where it was almost a necessity, but she never for once considered it her short coming. The way she strategised was a one of a kind experience to read. 

Arin's character, on the other hand, was just the right kind of character. He was refined, knew how to keep his darkest secrets, and gave Kestrel tough competition on the strategising grounds. I loved the conversations they had, and they felt pretty real to me.

“A kestrel is a hunting hawk.”
“Yes. The perfect name for a warrior girl.”
“Well.” His smile was slight, but it was there. “I suppose neither of us is the person we were believed we would become.” Ahhh<3



My favourite parts are many, but Kestrel's fight with Irex, a haughty going-to-be lord was FANTASTIC. She knew her asset, and his weakness. And the way she used it..WOW.

AWARDS!
Favourite Character: Kestrel. 
She is a calculated young woman, and doesn't let her feeling come in the way of her goals. Although I won't really mind if she proves me wrong in Book 2. Arin+Kestrel is a RAGE.


Favourite sidekick: Jess
She is sweet, helpful, and needy. Just the kind you want as a side kick. 

And a Special Mention to Arin. He is a FANTASTIC male protagonist.  Good looks, brains and understanding. PERRRFECT.





No comments:

Post a Comment